Our Padsicle Soother essential oil has been developed to help soothe and heal your ‘lady bits’ after vaginal birth. It has antiseptic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory and healing properties that can help prevent infection and provide relief from post-delivery bruising, pain, swelling and stitches following an episiotomy or perineal tear. The oil’s calming, balancing aroma will also help support you emotionally during your first post-natal days.
If you end up having a c-section the oil can be used in a spritz to help soothe and heal the surgical wound once the dressing has been removed.
This therapeutic aromatherapy blend contains 100% pure essential oils of Helichrysum, Geranium and Lavender.
Helichrysum is thought to increase the body’s own ability to heal. It has powerful antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and anti-bruising properties and a comforting, anti-depressant effect on the emotions. It is most effective when used synergistically with the other oils in this blend.
Geranium is antiseptic, helps stop bleeding and speeds the healing process. It also has antidepressant properties and is excellent for balancing those fluctuating post-natal hormones.
Lavender soothes body and mind. It has antiseptic, analgesic, skin-healing properties and a calming, balancing effect on the emotions. A study has shown Lavender can be effective in reducing perineal discomfort following an episiotomy, and that it can be a preferred alternative to Betadine antispetic for episiotomy wound care (Link to study). Like Helichrysum, Lavender works best synergistically with the other oils.
How to use our Padsicle essential oil:
This therapeutic aromatherapy oil is ideal for making our soothing and healing maternity ‘Padsicles’. These can be made in advance, frozen, then popped in your hospital bag when it’s time to go. Simply purchase your maternity pads – ideally ones that come in individual wrappers (if not, buy some extra small food or freezer bags to store them in) then follow the instructions below.
- Mix the Padiscle oil blend with Aloe Vera Gel (10 drops of oil per 10ml of gel) and spread a thick layer onto a maternity pad.
- Alternatively – and this is our recommended option – mix 10 drops of oil per 10ml of Witch Hazel Hydrolat. Spread a thick layer of Aloe Vera Gel onto the maternity pad and then spritz at least 5 sprays of the blended Witch Hazel on top of the gel. Witch Hazel is renowned for its soothing, anti-inflammatory, healing effect on the skin.
- Wrap the pad back up in its wrapper, or seal in a food or freezer bag and pop in the freezer until you set off for hospital. They will defrost nicely while you’re in labour and should still be wonderfully soothing and cooling when you’ve given birth.
- You can also keep a supply in the fridge for use at home. Do not use direct from the freezer.
- When you no longer need the maternity pads you can continue mixing the Padsicle oil into Aloe Vera Gel or Witch Hazel for direct application to the skin.
- If you have had a caesarean section blend the oil with Witch Hazel (as described above) and spritz onto the wound once the dressing has been removed.
Note: This blend is not just for use following pregnancy! It can also be mixed with Witch Hazel and sprayed onto normal sanitary towels or pads to support your monthly cycle.